Thread: OpenBSD changes
View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2012
Spam Deminer

I didn't say I don't have satisfaction with OpenBSD. Obviously you missed that I run my proxy server, web server, mail server, and firewall on OpenBSD. My frustration is that I would like to continue using OpenBSD, but with a (1) proxy server, (2) web server, (3) mail server, (4) firewall, (5) everyday FreeBSD laptop, (6) Windows laptop, (7) another old testing laptop, (8) new netbook, there is a clutter problem I'd like to resolve. With Solaris(OpenIndiana, Solaris, OmniOS) Zones or FreeBSD Jails I can consolidate a proxy, web, mail server. I could consolidate all three on one server now, but what would that gain? FreeBSD Jails v2 have problems and I would not use them in production, plus the fact one has to add VIMAGE to the kernel.

I really like OpenSMTPD but it won't build on Solaris. Each time I get past one problem it encounters another. So I could keep my mail server on OpenBSD and then put the others on Solaris, but then server sprawl continues.

There are many things I like with OpenBSD, otherwise it wouldn't be my sole Internet prescence solution, but server sprawl is what I am fighting against.