View Single Post
Old 27th June 2008
Port Guard

Well I was quite in a hurry but met unsolvable problems, at least without internet, it was really difficult to find any information !

1°) Internet didn't work but the problem came most probably from my box (routeur). Moreover, when running linux, once the box runs right, I also have to put a kind of patch to let it work properly (editing /etc/sysctl.conf and adding a line like ipv4_rmem = 4096 etc.). Without it, I can ping everything and firefox sometimes reaches google but none of the results is reachable. Very weird. I had to do that on this computer for 2 linux distros (ubuntu & faunos which is an arch linux derivative). I hope this won't appear in FreeBSD (since I'm not sure the same patch would work).

2°) The mouse didn't work ! It's an USB mouse and the handbook says "Does this system have a PS/2, serial, or bus mouse?

[ Yes ] No

Select [ Yes ] for a PS/2, serial or bus mouse, or [ No ] for a USB mouse and press Enter." I did choose "No" but even though, it didn't work. I've found lots of informations on the internet about USB mouse and FreeBSD but some are probably outdated and I don't really which ones (although I guess everything related to XF86Config is outdated, isn't it ? I burned FreeBSD 7.0) ; and some others are not really old but tell different or weird things (like in rc.conf : moused_enable="NO" and moused_port="/dev/ums0" : does it make sense at all to shut the moused down and tell him what's the port to use ??). Anyway, once I reinstall FreeBSD, I know I'll have to check /etc/rc.conf On another hand, I wonder if I'm just unlucky with the mouse, because only a few people seem to have USB mouse problems with FreeBSD 7.0. Someone else tells to stop moused (moused_*_enable="NO" + killall moused) and then run xorgconfig.

3°) Without any internet connection and without disc2 and disc3 I couldn't install kde for instance and was left with twm without internet and without mouse which was not too much for me !

So I think I'll try a dual boot linux/FreeBSD. I wanted to avoid it because my disk space is not very large and because I don't like it and it forces me to check all this grub stuff but well. I hope I'll manage to bring it to work.

Another thing I thought about just after pressing "Yes I'm sure FreeBSD can delete everything on my laptop" was that all my backup is done on an external disk which contains ext3 partitions ! I hope they will work as well.

Last problem I noticed : there was a lot of ACPI error messages during the startup. Even though, I didn't notice any consequence while twm was running. So. I hope there won't be neither because the documentation about this problem is not really easy to understand.

And... as a music user I would like to use the VST plugins in Ardour. Maybe not everyone knows what it is, so, ardour is a music software (to record stuff, mix and so on) and a commercial society (Steinberg) gives plugins for an equivalent software running under windows. But there's a way enabling these VST plugins in ardour as well, at least under linux, but it's not really easy to do ! I wonder if it is possible under FreeBSD and how (haven't found any hint about that in the internet) !

Alright, so, the second try begins soon !