View Single Post
Old 28th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_h View Post
1°) I don't know how to deal with the acpi error messages during the boot. I tried to find information on the internet but I haven't found anything relevant for my problem. I don't know if booting FreeBSD with acpi disabled is enough (then I don't get the error messages of course but maybe there are undesirable consequences ?)
Unfortunately FreeBSD doesnt support acpi very well.

Quote:
2°) There is an error message before login and I must ctrl-c it twice to get to the login. It comes obviously from sendmail and it's something about "My unqualified hostname". On the internet, I've found a zillion pages telling that I should check if the name of my machine (which is tezcatlipoca) is defined in the /etc/hosts file. So I checked and found that it wasn't ! OK, so I added the line but still, it didn't work. Actually, I don't know which IP address should match the name, maybe that's the problem. All websites tell that the line should be like "IP_address name name.domain.com" but I just have no idea what name.domain.com can be and I'm not so sure that tezcatlipoca is right as "name". I also found that the second mention (name.domain.com) can be omitted. Anyway I looked in the /etc/hosts of linux and found a line "127.0.1.1 tezcatlipoca" just under the classical "127.0.0.1 localhost". So I tried it in FreeBSD, it didn't work. I tried with the IP address of the computer (given by DHCP : 192.168.1.2) but it didn't work neither. (This second solution doesn't look good to me because I'm travelling sometimes and different boxes offer different default addresses, at home it's 192.168.1.2 but at other places it's 192.168.1.11 or more so if I use this solution, I must change the /etc/hosts file content everytime I get another IP address, isn't it ??). Another hint : someone wrote that it would be wise to ensure that /etc/hosts is used in name resolution. But I don't know how to do that. Finally I also wonder why sendmail is there because I don't need any mail server. But well, maybe it's needed by some other programm.
Sorry for not reading thoroughly since its quite lengthly. Nevertheless, if you encounter the "unqualified hostname" issue, a quick way to fix is to put a similar entry in the /etc/rc.conf file:

hostname="machine.localnet"

Quote:
Next steps I have to explore : [I do not ask any question about these steps for now]
Cheer for the attitude