View Single Post
Old 21st March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosha View Post
Well, I'm neither English nor Chinese mother tongue, so the "Englishness" does not make a big difference to me. Maybe with time I might learn all the three languages, but now I'll go first for awk and then Perl, and if its syntax is similar to shell and C, it will also help me understan Unix better, I think.
This is not what ocicat meant, he meant that python is more like a natural language (ANY language), and has less syntax, for example python doesn't require a semicolon ( at the end of each statement, python doesn't require curly braces ({ }) and parenthesis ( () ) at many places that most other languages do, and so forth.

This is very different from other languages which sometimes require excessive parenthesis (*cough* lisp *cough*).
The syntax of many languages seems to be designed so that the parser/compiler can easily understand&read the language, python syntax is designed so that it is easier for humans to understand&read the language ... This may make the compiler slightly harder to write, but you only write a compiler once, and you write code many times.