View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2008
Kienja

Default Console Resolution Problem

According to several nice articles, including this one, and an article in the FreeBSD wiki, the first step to getting a high console resolution is to add these to lines to the kernel configuration file:

Code:
options      VESA
options      SC_PIXEL_MODE
After configuring my kernel to include those two options, I issue the make buildkernel command I this is the entire output that I see:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Kernel build for BEDFORD started on Fri Jun 27 17:35:42 UTC 2008
===> BEDFORD
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys

>>> stage 1: configuring the kernel
cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;  PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin  config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BEDFORD  /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/BEDFORD
/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/BEDFORD: unknown option "VESA"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
Some time ago I remember getting a high resolution console working using those guides, but I can not remember any fancy tricks to getting it to work.

I have tried it recently on 7.0-RELEASE and 8.0-CURRENT-200806 with this exact error.

In both cases I had the src/base and src/sys distributions installed. Do I need more src distributions than those two to be able to get VESA working?

Thanks