View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th June 2011
Package Pilot

Default see the gPart attachment below:

Don't forget to fill in the chart for those who have an idea somewhere down the line. 50 year latter is ok also. It will help a lot.

Thanks

Quote:
Just post the output of fdisk from FreeBSD.
To late, I already worte this...

Quote:
Check the output of fdisk, i.e. the starting and ending sectors/blocks of each slice.
Beastie, I think we all are not be on the same page. I'm talking about PARTITIONS, not slices.

My PARTITIONS (not slices) are clean (no crud) and in the order that I posted.

Than I add each OS in this order.
Code:
Partition 1 1000GB -- FreeBSD 9.0   
Partition 2 1000GB -- PcBSD 9.0
Partition 3 3000GB -- PcBSD 8.2
Partition 4 Arch-LINUX and storage
It make no difference what is on each partition. Check out the size and the dd response to each. The good thing is there are all A5 (UFS) and should make thing a lot clearer.

FreeBSD Disklabel Editor:

Disk:ad4 - Partition name: ad4s1 - Free: 6145292 blocks - (3000MB)
Disk:ad4 - Partition name: ad4s2 - Free: 4918665 blocks - (2401MB)
Disk:ad4 - Partition name: ad4s3 - Free: 6156261 blocks - (3005MB)

Please don't question about the free-space above it's just something I was playing with yesterday.

Let me give you the whole picture in less words as possible. (but impossible for me to do)

1. I got 3 BSD on one hard-drive which is uncommon, right.

2. I got a 500MB extended partition with Arch running GRUB and for plenty of room storing my backups, my way.

3. After I got my dream setup (wallpaper, bash_color, programs installed) for all my BSD's (not in VM's) I boot to ARCH-LINUX and dd-gzip each at will and save them to extended-partition-somewhere_xx.

4. Than I dd (zero-out) the partition my back-up was save from ... (ONE AT A TIME) if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 2 and 3 ... and I keep a list of how long it take for dd to do its job for each of the three PARTITIONS. It's a habit. Now I know it is CLEAN. I don't pile a clean-copy of an partuions back on to of the old one. Something might slip-in or is it useless ... big deal, this is how I do things, even for your machine.

5. Now I restore each back-up (one at a time) and I record that too which is usually the same amount of time ... that is so great. Now I know what I am in for during time of emergency or fixing my customer machine (THEY LOVE ME). Nothing is better than have a COPY of the full partition just in case your last dump caught a bug.

I do this very often for many of my customers so it's second nature to me. According to google I can't find the original thread that showed me how-to do this thing anymore. It been years. I guest just like Windows every one want to be the only OS on a giant partition (non-split to share with others) running VM's in his world only. I don't know what to guest anymore.

This is like CRAZY Man and it's not a no big deal to setup!

Disk-Destroyer (dd) don't care, that's why there is no excuse for this and it only proves that the inner part of a HDD is faster than the outer. Maybe the expert HDD maker never tried it this way. They test the whole drive and not partitions so they had the chance to learn their own stuff. You be surprise what even Bill Gates don't know about Apple and visa versa. They teach us all to do everything by the book so that you never learn jack sh*t else, including ALL BSD, execpt netBSD maybe.

I hope someone will try it and provide the correct answers to all my questions. I need answers to prove these speeds cmp's wrong or a one-line correction in every textbook in the world!

Tell me what you need and I'll lay it out for you. I think I am correct to say inner drive is the fastest, EVER!

I hope you can help me to find to truth
Attached Images
File Type: png gPart_info.png (13.1 KB, 55 views)