View Single Post
Old 8th June 2013
Arp Constable

Quote:
But .. But ?! Why the hell do you advise me to change for another OS for paranoiacs ?
You seem to be having trouble with NetBSD. The actual rationale for suggesting OpenBSD is that the version of Xorg is newer along with the radeon driver. NetBSD 6.0 amd64 has xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 while OpenBSD 5.3 has xf86-video-ati 6.14.6.

The "paranoia" that goes into auditing OpenBSD code also results in an Operating System that is very stable and reliable.

Furthermore, it also is an extremely easy BSD to install with succint, up to date documentation. From a CD I can install the base system in less than 20 minutes, including one network connection, wifi with WPA2, root password along with user. NTP, the sound driver and xorg usually work without configuration.

Lastly, the quality of the binary packages is, In My Humble Opinion, much better. I tried a recent install of NetBSD 6.0 for an i386 system and although openoffice is available (it compiled), it crashed immediately without even a core dump. In contrast, I have been running a newer version of LibreOffice in OpenBSD for months.
But it is your system and you can do what you wish with it.

Last edited by shep; 8th June 2013 at 12:16 AM.