View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I wonder if it's been discussed and perhaps even answered on the PCBSD forums? ...
Not that I can recall reading anyway.

I would rather hope that it's not just an (annoying) OEM/ODM thing going on that drives up the price tag.

I could understand high price tags _if_ it costs them more to get a working system going, but hell you can shop off the 'net and build one. And of course it's not really a large market either compared to the ease of finding Wintel's.

Matt Olander is a decent guy, although I'm not fond of iXsystems. I would still trust him to be reasonably honest about most things, so it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

At least, Matt hasn't banned me yet for calling him "Molar Man" or "Molar-ander" on IRC yet

I personally would consider buying a server from iXsystems if I had fundulation for a proper server machine in the first place. But I have a sort of 'build it yourself' nature hehe when it comes to regular PCs, for which I'm knowledgeable enough to shop for compatible parts and avoid most paper weights I see.

PS:

DrJ, did you have to make me drool over that 'workstation' ?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.