View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihonto View Post
Sorry for being a little bit more direct, but this is elitist, ideological rubbish! If this is the dominating opinion within the xBSD-Community I didn't have to wonder any more, why a lot of people think about it as some kind of a sect.

You want more people to use BSD? Forget about!

Or, if you want to take it the other way round - if you want xBSD to prevail as an elitist OS just for the "enlightened" followers of the only (self-)righteous way, then carry on this way. And be sure - M$ & Co. will laugh at you while you remain in your "splendid isolation" with your noses held high!

Again - sorry for my harsh words - but such an arrogant swagger is really annoying.
Please, be direct. I want to point out here that we are talking about SERVERS, not the desktop here. Servers were not meant to have GUI loaded. They perform their functions much better without one.

As to whether I want more people to use *BSD, personally if it means it is going to become like what I experienced over there,, then no, I don't want more people using it. I am using BSD for enterprise, mission critical applications, not serving torrents. This is where the Linux community seems to have a problem - where to draw the line between playing and serious computing. To me, the *BSDs seem to be more serious in the server space. Insisting on loading a GUI on a SERVER tells me not only are your admin skills deficient, but you also don't want to learn any either.

-Tim