View Single Post
Old 4th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Last time I checked DragonFly has Hammer file system. Maybe not as sophisticated as ZFS but definitely it is a damn good file system.
... but HAMMER (as good as it is) is 'only' a filesystem ... You will not create RAID1/RAID5/RAID6/RAID10/RAID60/.../RAIDXYZ with it like with ZFS, HAMMER needs one device on which it can 'spread' so You still need a volume manager to provide that device, that is why they ported LVM from Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Speaking of porting ZFS, it is already ported to NetBSD 5.99 the same as Hammer. If you are really after some very specific file systems requirements NetBSD is just the way to go... (from the mouth of OpenBSD user )
I like NetBSD because of having Xen dom0 support and iSCSI target in the base, but thats it, I have tried it about 5.0 times and it was PITA to use it (packages/configuration/sound), I hope most of these things will be resolved at 6.0 (pkgin is very nice).

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd