View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
Tcpdump Spy

I saw Shane Kerr at T-Dose In October 2009, I suspect it was mostly the same talk as this one (He was the guy with the "OSI-model shirts", I think you got one to?).
He then expected a stable & fully usable bind 10 version was still about 5 years away, so it may be that "bind 10 is coming", but it sure is going to take a while.

Your link mentions that Bind 10 will be a rewrite, but it doesn't mention that Bind 10 will be a rewrite in Python. Using C++ for some speed-critical parts ...

At this talk Shane mentioned that Bind 9 wasn't particularly well designed, using stuff as threads that aren't really needed and added more because it was the "hype of the day" instead of properly thought out technical reasons.
One can't help but wonder if they are repeating that same mistake again, using an interpreted high-level language such as Python which is "today's hype" ... I guess only time can tell, but I do know there are some other secure and stable DNS resolvers/root server that don't need a high-level interpreted language (Such as djb's DNS package, MaraDNS, etc.)