View Single Post
Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
NetBSD used to be really simple (good) OS. How is that XOrg coming along? Is it as good and simple as
XFree86 was? I thought that moving to Xorg was no brainer. I am not so sure anymore. Can you select XOrg during default installation as you could with XFree86 or it is not anymore bundled with the Kernel.
In 5.0 install you can select between various x11 sets that contain xorg package, it is propably possible to use xfree from pkgsrc, but I have too little knowledge in NetBSD to confirm that.

Quote:
Can anybody give more details about NetBSD audio. I heard lots of people complaining about audio.
Its not like OSS @ FreeBSD or like OSS4 with live kernel mixing (at least was when I last checked it), I wasnt able to get sound on my Dell d630 laptop, but I must take little more deep into that problem.

On older hardware the sound worked, but if you have 1 physical channel, then only 1 sound that uses OSS will be playing (no live in kernel audio mixing), but I have also read on some efforts to make it that way.

Quote:
Is it possible to compile OSS on NetBSD. OSS used to have a package for NetBSD 31. and also OpenBSD 3.8 but since then they support only FreeBSD.
OSS3.9 package maybe works on NetBSD 3 but it does not work for sure on NetBSD 5.0, I already tried

Maybe I will contact OSS4 developers why then do not continus any work for NetBSD.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd