View Single Post
Old 7th May 2008
Port Guard

Yep, I agree there's no problem with using -march for the kernel (as stated, the kernel build system disables such instructions with with -mno in every compile command, including the modules that get built for everything you disable in the main kernel image) but that's not the case with ports.

In my sillier days, I used to do -march=pentium4 for everything I compiled in Linux until I learned that SSE2 subtly breaks stuff. It's not something you can put your finger on either. One time I had a problem with certain gtk+ dialogs intermitently crashing the X server. Some chooser dialogs, Gimp options, the file manager in XFCE. The cause was GTK+ being compiled with -march=pentium4, specifically the use of SSE2. That caused me a lot of aggravation. I was attacking the problem as if it was something to do with X. As if it was something to do with the Radeon driver. Everything but Grogan and his stupid compile flags :-)

I've also subtly broken some functions in programs that way too. The rest of the program works fine, except for a few features.

That said, I decided to do it anyway lol

CPUTYPE=nocona in make.conf. If anything breaks, I'll fix it and not do it anymore. I just want to see for myself how things have progressed. Things may not miscompile anymore, gcc is smarter than it used to be now too.

I took out the other stuff.

I wanted to rebuild my kernel again tonight anyways, to try that SCHED_ULE which is purported to be a better scheduler for SMP. So far it's doing quite well (watching top while the system is under stress) and staying snappy.

Last edited by Grogan; 7th May 2008 at 06:55 AM.