View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
New User

Default Update problem with .xz file format

My troubles started when the video card on my basement server bought the farm. I could not find the exact replacement for a Nvidia GeForce 7100GS so I selected a GeForce 8400 thinking that the drivers could be the same. After installing the new card and trying to bring up Xorg and KDE the screen went blank. The only way to kill the offending process was to use telnet from another machine. It is nice to have access to the Internet when I have need for it.

Searching for drivers from Nvidia for FreeBSD I found this NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-260.19.36.tar.gz. So I downloaded it and tried to run make and it told me that I need version 7.1 or later. I am running 6.2 because there has been no need to upgrade until now.

So it’s update time. I have an extra hard drive that I use to try stuff on before I try it on something important. Good place to try the latest version. After I downloaded 8.2 from the FreeBSD sites I find that there is a file FreeBSD-8.2-RC3-amd64-dvd1.iso.xz that has yet another compression algorithm.

Here we go again! I downloaded from the FreeBSD fresh ports xz.tar.gz that will decompress the .xz file or so it says. However when I try it I get the following error;

Prometheus# pwd
/usr/ports/accessibility/xz
Prometheus# make install clean
===> Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> xz-5.0.0.tar.gz is not in /usr/ports/accessibility/xz/distinfo.
=> Either /usr/ports/accessibility/xz/distinfo is out of date, or
=> xz-5.0.0.tar.gz is spelled incorrectly.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/accessibility/xz.
Prometheus#

The CD version does not have the ports collection on it. It only has the DOCS.

Any idea what I am doing wrong other than buying cheap junk made in China?

Keith