View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdperson View Post
Has anybody tried Debian with the Freebsd kernel? Sounds nice to me, basically a pf/altq enabled system with a nice(r) package system. But does it work i real life?
What is niceR about apt-get? Those custom Debian's cheep hacks that often change normal behavior of packages and introduce bugs or the fact that they are starting daemons and configuring your system without your permission? Do not get me wrong. I am no fan of FreeBSD and one of my principal complaints is that userland is too GNU-ish and uses to many GNU basic tools instead of BSD tools. Debina/FreeBSD takes that to extreme and replaces completely crippled (by GNUisms) BSD userland on FreeBSD and replace it with GNU. For the record PF/altq is in my book useless on FreeBSD. PF version shipped with FreeBSD is stuck in the year 2007 and there has been HUGE improvements since then in PF. Altq last time I used FreeBSD was not in generic kernel and has to be enabled manually (by compiling custom kernel). The work on FreeBSD userland has indeed stopped almost completely couple years ago. Most developers use MAC as they are desktops but if you need ZFS and do not want to pay to Oracle it is probably a fine system.

Cheers,
Oko

P.S. You probably should change your nick from bsdperson into gnuperson

Last edited by Oko; 10th June 2011 at 04:30 PM.