View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
So, "Upgrading to Snapshot" involves either 1)Using Install files from the snapshots directory (obvious) or 2) Choosing the "Upgrade Option" from the install media (mine's 4.6) - I'm presuming that choosing the "Upgrade" option (unlike the Install option) will allow me to ftp the core files from the ~/snapshots directory instead of the ~/4.6 directory.
No. From the 4.6-release installation materials, "Upgrade" requires your system to be at 4.5. "Upgrade" assumes an already installed system, and one which is only one release back

All "upgrade" does is copy the kernel(s) to the root filesystem, untar all filesets you select (etc*.tgz and xetc*.tgz are never available for selection), and refresh boot blocks. The user must then manually manage /etc and /var configuration files, per each release's published upgrade guide. In recent years, sysmerge(8) could be used to automate some of those configuration changes. For older releases, we had the mergemaster package, with similar semiautomatic facilities.

Quote:
What I don't get is that several app_pkgs (gui browser types) were looking for "etc/dbus-1/machine-id" and giving me error messages for it when the "machine-id" file, according to Openports.se, had been "uninstalled" months(6+, IIRC? ago.
http://openports.se is an unofficial, automated service that provides a view into the OpenBSD ports repository. If you do not understand how the ports tree works, or how the tree is one particular state of the ports repository, or the differences between -release, -stable, and -current, all it will do is confuse you, further than you already are confused.

Step 1: Read FAQ 5. All of it. Go back and re-read FAQ 5.1, on how OpenBSD is managed. Then, read FAQ 5 again, in its entirety. It is required if you want to do any maintenance of the OS.

Step 2: Read FAQ 15. All of it. Go back and re-read FAQ 15.4.1, on keeping things in sync. FAQ 15 is on the ports and package system, and this knowledge is necessary if you want to stop digging yourself further into a hole.

---

If you are doing an "upgrade" from one release to another, older libraries (files in /usr/lib) will be retained. Old applications (installed with a previous release) should still work. After an upgrade of the OS, one then updates packages with a new $PKG_PATH and pkg_add -u.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st January 2010 at 04:10 PM.