View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
...Like Karen says, they'd just have to use their own designs instead. Or maybe they could copy people less likely to sue. e.g. who has the copyright on smalltalk and common lisp? In a way it might be kind of cool to have Java and Unix banned for use by free software. Assuming people could find the motivation once we have nothing again, maybe we could get something a little different this time...
You know, that is an interesting idea. We could start over, without all the bloat, and without all the hold-back legacy compatibility requirements. Also - it could put some coders back to work. It's a new works program.

Quote:
But it's pretty early to worry about that. Let's see where this goes first and if anyone else decides to try to sue from a similar place.
Interesting times ... and it will be interesting to see who does what now...

Quote:
The most jarring idea in your first post was that APIs being copyrightable weakens the GPL. I can't even begin to see the logic there. If anything, as Bradley I think is getting at with his mixed feelings comment, it makes the GPL that much more enforceable. e.g. GNU could sue to have mg GPLed since it replicates the "structure, sequence, and organization" of emacs's command set despite its implementation being independent (not that they ever would do that).
I can't seem to find the link now, and I've cleared my cookies and history a couple times since (automatic habit). I know it seemed logical when I read it, but now can't recall what that logic was, exactly. Maybe it'll come back :-)