View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th January 2010
Administrator

Nobody is attacking you and you surely have the right to run FreeBSD like you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBee
I'm trying to rebuild my kernel in order to include support for my Atheros wireless network card.
I have been answering forum questions like this since 2003 and have assisted quite a lot of people like you who "got drowned in kernel recompilation errors".

Most of them being new to FreeBSD, did not know that instead of recompiling a kernel to add support for a device, you also could load a kernel module to reach the same goal. That is the only reason why I pointed out the module load alternative.

If you would have stated that you know of loadable modules, but preferred to compile support into the kernel, everybody would have known of your intention and not anybody would have suggested the module work-a-round.

Re: your kernel hang

Does the kernel display any message? If it does, what are the last messages the kernel displays?

Or is it just a (temporary) hang during the startup scripts? Many times a tempory hang is caused by a failing forward or reverse DNS lookup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBee
options INET6 # IPv6 communications protocols
+#options INET6 # IPv6 communications protocols
You disabled IPv6 in your kernel. If something is trying to do a IPv6 lookup that could add some considerable delay. And some things like the pf packet filter probably will not work at all without IPv6 support.

You also have to be careful with disabling SCSI stuff, drivers for optical devices like CD use a SCSI emulation layer.

Some more details, at least when the kernel displays something, would be helpful