View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2008
Port Guard

This is an update.

It doesn't look like my problem comes from having used gparted to create the partition for OpenBSD.

I took the laptop and booted the XP installation media, deleting both the XP and OpenBSD partitions and creating a new NTFS partion of the same size as I had before, but leaving the balance unformated.

I completed the XP install, then booted from the 4.3 install CD and used fdisk to create a partition for OpenBSD in the remaining space on the HD.

I went through the same steps to install the OS and set the laptop up for dual-booting (ntldr) as before, but I get the same result; if I select the OpenBSD option in the ntldr menu the system boots up to what looks like the point where it mounts /dev/wd0 and stalls.

I noticed a reply to my question on the old bsdforums site from one user who had gotten around his startup problems by disabling apci at the boot prompt; I tried that but it didn't make any difference. I also tried disabling softraid just for fun at the boot prompt but it didn't help either.

When I was setting up the disk I noticed that the disklabel information seemed to have persisted; which kind of surprised me. I went through the whole install process again but changed the sizes of the partitions slightly in the unlikely event that their sizes were somehow enabling some geometry-specific problem, but I got the same result.

I really suspect that some other features of OpenBSD has changed from 4.2 to 4.3 that my configuration doesn't like. Time permitting I may go through the changelog and try to spot anything likely to affect mounting my filesystems.