View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default thanks for the quick reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat
Section 5.1 points out some of the issues users of -current should consider as it is implied that -current users understand there are some risks involved. If you don't feel you can live with the risks, don't run -current.

Having said that, make frequent backups, so any error causes by the snapshot does not cause a catastrophic loss of data.
Yes, I understand the risk; I was just looking for a way to minimize it.

Quote:
Snapshots for some platforms (like i386 & amd64...) change daily -- sometimes hourly. There is no guarantee that a snapshot downloaded at this moment will be available 30 minutes from now.

Given that -current is the location for fresh development, it is surprisingly stable in comparison to other projects. Yes, I personally have run into occasional issues which were resolved by installing a later snapshot, but any pain or inconvenience which might be associated with re-installing can be minimized by creating a good install.site script. Likewise, anyone running -current should seriously consider reading the misc@ & source-changes@ mailing lists on a regular basis.
I will try to keep an eye on both, I already follow misc@, ports@

Quote:
What's your goal? What makes you believe that running -stable or -current addresses your concerns?
what's my goal, hmmm

1- I want save my self sanity my using something I know it's a really working model with less chaotic behaviour's.

2- I want to concentrate more on one thing and one thing only.

3- I wished to join the porters list by lifting some of the work load 'building packages', but asking those who're involved just led to understand that there are already enough people building packages. My conversations just ended concluding that AMD is more preferred than i386 when we're speaking about ports and packages and helping OpenBSD'S community "dunno how, thought I 'd figure out with time'

4- I only have one machine which is a laptop, I have used -stable (on, off) for quite a while now, so I am less likely to be using it beyond desktop usage.

like I said, I was trying to be in the porters list, now it's kinda just see what do -current looks like, I mean which life style will be enforced on me my using it.

not sure if I explained enough, so I 'll be waiting for questions.