View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrodozombie View Post
I tried installing Gimp in /usr/ports/graphics/gimp by typing "sudo make install && sudo make clean." This works until it downloads qt4 at which point it stalls.
The ports system works by the Makefile directing the downloading of source from the original project's authoritative servers. If the build hangs because it is unable to download their source, this is not under the OpenBSD project's control, & any of us would then be at the mercy of whatever redundancy (& availability) external projects have in place. Some are more redundant & resilient than others.

A quick search on the ports@ mailing list didn't reveal any prior discussion on anyone else having problems with downloading portions of QT4. I, however, have had similar issues with other ports. Usually it takes awhile (a week or so...) for things to reach normalcy again.
Quote:
I have a hunch that qt4 might need java to compile, which is what I'm spending my day doing right now.
There is no reason to guess. Two Makefile targets, print-build-depends & print-run-depends will state the exact build & runtime dependencies. Go to the appropriate directory in the ports tree & run both:
Code:
$ cd /usr/ports/x11/qt4
$ sudo make print-build-depends
$ sudo make print-run-depends
$
For more information, study the ports(7) manpage.

Also be aware that JDK 1.7 is available as a package. Older versions will always require local building due to licensing issues. For more information, see Section 8.3 of the FAQ.