View Single Post
Old 20th June 2018
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
+1 on all points

Linux has become a mess, strewn with complicated "black box" solutions such as systemd and lots of needless wheel reinvention. There are simply too many corporate fingers in the Linux pie these days and no clear direction or leadership.
And I definitely agree with you on this. Linux Foundation is more about business now than quality of software. It's trade correctness for convenience. Under some circumstances, not so different from Oracle or Microsoft and not something I feel the urge to be part of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
I have mostly "ultra-old hardware" and find I need Linux for that too. Just sayin'.
It's likely I've just been lucky, but here's my testimony:

I've never bought Thinkpads, Dell laptops or other typical hardware to run BSDs and Solaris, most stuff I own is old and second-handed,but's always happened to be supoorted and work flawlessly so far.

I started by moving my old 2000 desktop PC from WindowsMe to OpenSolaris in 2008, and it was fully supported. Now it runs Tribblix OS

My first laptop is a cheap Acer TravelMate gifted by the trade union to my father in 2008; it runs NetBSD flawlessly, but has also run FreeBSD and DragonflyBSD for a while

My second laptop is an intermediate-quality Samsung from 2010. I started using it only on 2015 though and it runs OpenIndiana.

My current desktop is a relatively powerful and modern machine I built in early 2017, and it was first though as a Slackware/Steam gaming platform and a multimedia workstation. Later on,dince I was not playing games much, I decided to put FreeBSD in it, and it turned out being perfectly supported (including dedicated soubd card, nvidia graphics, internal wireless, bluetooth).

My Rpi3 runs NetBSD without problem

This is not meant to assess you're lying,but that your experience with very old hardware being unsupported should rather be regarded as an exception

Last edited by Sehnsucht94; 20th June 2018 at 11:12 PM.