View Single Post
Old 27th July 2008
Arp Constable

The discussion of what sice swap space is needed on a server, is most defiantly one I'll keep my head out of for any system beyond my personal control.

The only time I've had problems with FreeBSD detecting a machine with only 1 disk as anything >0, is my test machines SATA drive. Where the 'ATA_STATIC_ID' option in FreeBSDs GENERIC kernel configuration usually causes the machines lone hard drive to be detected as ad4, instead of ad0. A lot of people here have used FreeBSD longer then I have and on much more varied system configurations, maybe someone might have an idea?

The disk notation used on FreeBSD is very simple,

Code:
[driver name] [disk number] s[slice number] [[partition letter]]

So, using 'ad2s1b' as an example for the above notation. 'ad' is the driver name, '2' is the disk number, 's1' is the slice number, and 'b' is the partition letter.

By convention some of the letters used for denoting partitions have special meanings on some systems. 'a' on the boot disk => /, 'b' => swap, 'c' => the entire slice, e.g. ad2s1c is equal to ad2s1 and all partitions within slice 1's label, in meaning that is.

You can find more details in the FreeBSD handbook and manual pages for bsdlabel. FreeBSD is also fairly consistent in its device naming practices.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.