Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Ah yes, of course, I forgot!
Code:
if (Microsoft())
{
  Evil();
  Ignore();
}
How is it possible people don't see this highly intellectual and open-minded position!
Simple. That guy was well known among us web developers and was dissed years ago. He's full of BS.
Quote:
Such as?
Oh, sigh. I did this a year or two ago but I'll look again.
Quote:
Yes, this is the firefox motto:
firefox <next version> will be released soon and it will fix problem x, y, and z.
Been hearing that one for years.
I would hope so. Mozilla constantly works on their code. Unlike Microsoft who took five years to work on theirs and still get it wrong.
Quote:
Chrome is alpha and years from a stable and usable state.
Yes it is but that doesn't make its engine less so.
Quote:
IE8 is a beta, so it's not really fair to judge it by that.
But you just dissed Chrome as being alpha. In any case, IE8 is virtually done and there is nothing more significant to come of it.
Quote:
Also, as far as I've noticed it's not really that slow, but I haven't seen any benchmarks (Do you know of any?).
Go to ArsTechnica. They posted results within the last week. So have one or two others.
Quote:
Actually, plugins for IE SVG support have existed for quite some time.
Those plugins do not work in IE7, I believe, and definitely don't work in IE8. Adobe abandoned that plugin a couple years ago.
Quote:
And the IE people are working on XHTML for IE ... I would not be surprised if the release version of IE8 will support it.
They are not and have stated so on the IEBlog. Where did you hear that?
Quote:
Only about 75% of the web, but who cares about that minority?
Those 75% are mostly users who wouldn't know the troubles of developing for it. It is by far the worst browser on the planet and IE8 won't help much. No web developer worth his salt has any respect for IE. It is the only browser that has tens, if not hundreds, of web sites dedicated to fixes for it.

There's four links to start with, but I've got a million of 'em:
The new IE8 is still 10 years behind web standards or wrong.
IE is a cancer on the web
But it works in IE!
Security experts advise to not use IE

EDIT: Adobe last worked on the SVG viewer in 2005. It does not work in Vista. Adobe announced they will discontinue support for it in January.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 22nd October 2008 at 09:35 PM.