View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th October 2011
Tcpdump Spy

They kept the DOM API, which is arguably the worst of the entire Javascript experience.

Other than that, it doesn't seem a whole lot different to Javascript, other than that it actually *does* resemble Java (Javascript *does not*, it's the worst name in the history of computing and then some). This is not a good thing IMHO.

I don't feel that there's a lot wrong with Javascript as such, although many problems do surround it, many are not specific to Javascript. There's a bunch of stuff you'd better not use and some other "quirks", but nothing that can't be fixed (The ECMAScript 5 standard fixes quite a bit of that already).

One of the bigger pains is the DOM API, and Dart doesn't fix that. It also keeps the window global, and, as far as I can see, no separation of privileges surrounding it (Meaning stuff like ads and facebook apps can access it).

So ... I wonder what problems does this actually solve? It removes the best part of javascript (functional programming, really neat inheritance) and replaced those with the ugly Java-alternatives. Nice for the Java people, but does this make it a better programming environment?