Thread: Marketing
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2008
Arp Constable

Well, I'd have split this topic by now but that's just me.

One nice thing, on boards where I am not a moderator I'm not officially obligated to try keep people on topic ^_^

forums.pcbsd.org has a lot of user accounts, probably too many are spam users depending on whether or not the older bots got there accounts removed. We've had problems before, usually with the active parts of the community shouting and someone upgrading the CAPTCHA and such things to curtail it for many months.

Like any support focused bulletin board many people join when they have a Q or a P and then leave when everything going good for them. Leaving a small core of people that are regular visitors of varying fluencies and assistance.

I've been on PC-BSDs forums since November, 2005 and I've used both PC-BSD and FreeBSD since January 2006... My first installs of both.

I barely recognize the 'regular crowd' there any more, I'm probably one of the only ones left there who still remembers when PC-BSD was still Release Candidate software... When I was 'young' in the community there, there was a good amount of people that had been around since PC-BSD was in beta testing.

The developers spend there time with the mailing list not the forums, there is probably a google group(s) somewhere whether or not it is populated I don't know. I personally prefer the forums but to each there own.

Usually if I need any real help, I fire up KNode and make a posting somewhere under comp.unix.bsd.* or visit an IRC channel.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.