View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
In typography, highlighting is used just for that. To grab your attention so you don't miss something. Do you want to do that while reading through the logic of your code? I always tell myself I'm going to experiment with this but haven't yet. I might like highlighting when I'm searching for a keyword but not otherwise.
Well, it can be useful for other purposes. Just to give an example: If you forget the closing $-sign for a mathematical expression in a .tex file, all the rest of your document will be shown in wrong colours. Very easy to notice the mistake. I also like it when working with Perl or shell scripts, where operators, variables and constants are shown in distinct colours. Helps me, not just because it is "pretty". But it is all probably a matter of taste, and it does take some time to get used to it. I agree that it can be a bit distracting in the beginning. Give it a try, you may end up liking it. (And then you will be lost when you have to work on a system without a highlighting editor.