View Single Post
Old 1st July 2009
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
...OpenVPN can create virtual subnets for remote users who are connecting in to the local private network, this may or may not be useful.
Matters like this are going to be what your decision pivots on, not the ADMIN GUI experience.

If you need split-horizon topologies, DNS flexibility, the means to punch out of fire walled location, or any one of another half-dozen "requirements," then your going to find OpenVPN more flexible and easier to be successful with. Once the text files are mastered and correct, they are set so I don't recommend making the choice about something that -- once working -- you won't be playing with any more.

Is your VPN topology one-to-one or many-to-one. If many, how many.

Many-to-one dictates an OpenVPN setup in its TLS "Server" mode. This mode requires X.509 certificates (self-signed (free) or otherwise). A lot of Admin's are Cert Authority phobic. And if you have a lot of clients, then OpenVPN's admin burden tilts to the CA operations and management, not the VPN. (There *is* a way to make one client-side cert set and then *cheat* by giving ALL your users the same cert set; however, this is NOT recommended.)

OpenVPN -- the Company -- has recently created the "OpenVPN Access Server." It has a web-admin. It is a commercial product/open source hybrid form of the open source OpenVPN we've all known. I have not tried it (yet), but it may make the CA work easier. I can't say, except to say it's a *linux* based distro.

/S