View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2010
New User

Default sparcstation 20 cgfourteen crashes

Hi, I am new to NetBSD so please bare with me...

I recently installed NetBSD on my old SS20, the install went without a hitch, the machine boots and everything is fine except...

After a while or (I suspect) when I use commands that use the scrollback on the console the entire thing crashes and I have to reboot the machine.

To be specific netbsd itself does not crash and I can still access the box from ssh but the framebuffer freezes up and displays garbage. It looks like it cannot handle the resolution or something.

Anyway I am at a loss because the issue is so random and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to start looking

Its an SS20 with a cgfourteen framebuffer, solaris 8 works fine on it out of the box with CDE and all the trimmings. But I'd rather use something more fun. Note here that I have a native sun monitor and a sun type 4 keyboard/mouse attached to it.

I looked at the FAQ entry regarding garbage from a serial console cgsix but I am not sure if it is the same issue or related in some way since it talks about serial console rather than what I have which is a sun monitor and a cgfourteen.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!