View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2008
New User

Arrow Learning how to program

I see alot of threads in this forum dedicated to learning how to program this or that and so on, but this thread is a wee bit different. I know nothing about programming. Time and time again, I've tried learning but continue running into a brick wall as far as putting everything together. I seem to only get one or two chapters into any book before running into this wall (I.E; I know and understand what an if,then statement does, but how do I integrate this into a larger project and what are some examples of projects I could work on). I took ONE programming course back in high school around four years ago, and was lost after the hello world program. This is somewhat embarassing, because as far as administering a machine, I can pick that up pretty easily (I may not know alot, but so long as there is documentation, I can pull myself along pretty much where I need to go).

Anyway, I just want some suggestions/advice on what would be the easiest programming language to start with, and some books/documentation to help me along the way. I'm determined to master at least ONE language, I don't care if it takes me until I'm 50!