View Single Post
Old 20th February 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Personally, I am looking forward at the 2.7 release of NetSurf during the April celebration of the Risk OS. It might not have a JavaScript but it is never the less enough for 90% of the things I am doing on the Web.
I like Netsurf very much, even though I rarely use it. I’m most impressed by how portable the main library is; they have frontends for GTK, framebuffer, SDL, RISC OS, Amiga, Cocoa, Windows, and Haiku! I hope someday to find the time to make an X11 frontend similar to Surf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Funny, I thought IE stopped being modern around IE4 or earlier, lol.
I’ve heard the problem is IE6 was a modern browser when it came out, because Netscape was pretty bad. So everybody switched to IE, and IE stayed in place as the world passed it by.

As for this whole “modern” thing, I can’t help but feel skeptical of a lot of HTML5. Okay, there are some good things.
  • Standardizing invalid HTML parsing methods? Good.
  • Moving away from SGML? Good.
  • Removing version numbers and transitioning to a moving spec? Bad.
  • The general focus on webapps instead of presenting meaningful information to the user? Bad, at least IMHO.
I just feel like I could have gotten behind XHTML2 more easily, with its focus on marking up documents instead of flashy games and fade effects.