View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanl View Post
...Once installed, install curl to download the amd64 disk image and used dd to copy the image to a flash drive.
For clarity: when you boot OpenBSD install media, you are then running a minimal OpenBSD kernel with a small set of utilities stored in a RAM-based filesystem. So your installation of OpenBSD in order to download install media again seems unnecessary. Perhaps you should follow the official installation guidance?
Quote:
I don't understand this but dmesg also tells me:

softraid0 at root scsibus3 at softraid0: 256targets
root on sd0a swap on sd0b dump on sd0b.
This is not dmesg(8) output from the installation media (RAMDISK) kernel. I expect this is dmesg output from the previously successfully installed system you are attempting to overwrite.
Quote:
I am still confused as to why a command which is supposed to overwrite data refuses to overwrite data because there is data.
So am I, but because I am not there with you, I can only work with what you are able to post. When you boot the installation media and select the shell, an # ls /dev/rsd* command will show you the predefined sd0 devices. Only the 16 rsd0 devices are defined, partitions a-p. After your dd(1) command fails, is there a 17th rsd* file in the /dev directory?