View Single Post
Old 15th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
2x Q9450 CPU
I have a quad core CPU and for most of the time I just cant use all the cores, I am able to do that only with Xen with several OSes at a time, IMHO 4 cores are currently more then enought, also Q6600 is cheaper and has bigger ratio (9x) so it will overclock easier, TDP is the same as for Q9450.

... and by the way, Intel Qxxxx series quad core CPU cannot be used in SMP setup, you will have to use a Xeon XPU here

The only exception here is Intel Skulltrail platform with 2 x Q9770, each for $1000 + mobo for more then $500.

Quote:
2x high end graphics cards (comparable to GF7800/8600), each capable of dual heads.
IMHO anything better then 9600GSO 768MB is lost money, especially SLI setup, I would consider ATI 4850 but there is no FreeBSD driver so ...

Quote:
2x DVD Burner
1x CD Burner
2 x DVDRW will be ok, but what that CDRW for?

Quote:
4x 250GB Seagate SATA drives
Poor Seagate 7200 drives?

I am disappointed mate

Havent you heard of WD VelociRaptor (300GB | SATA | 16MB Cache | 10,000 RPM).

See here how fast it is: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

... but I would go for SSDs anyway: SSD performance

Quote:
something like that anyway, is what I dream of for "Project Esmeralda" ...
Pretty nice but you will not use even 30% of that horsepower on daily basis, but maybe wou will find a cat that is amused

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd