View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2008
Port Guard

I am a web developer and I like the Mac to be fast, secure,stable and because of its nice applications, for example textmate.

But seeing the actual development process I do not want to be bounded to Mac OS X any longer, it is just to much ilife too much I do not need too much hidden under the hood, less options to customize and quite expensive.

Now I choose FreeBSD as it is unix and I like the changed changed copyright as this brings ZFS and other technologies to FreeBSD. I chose xfce because it is very fast.

As I am used to the Mac environment at the moment I like my to look similar, so the transmission is easier for me and maybe other mac users that join my way. It should be rock stable, faster as Mac OS X (which is not that difficult ), secure and highly customizable, to fit the workflow as best as possible. Mac OS X does these things out of the box, but the missing feature is the option of customization, it is all hidden behind this beautiful user interface.

About showimg and konqueror I think both of them are nice but both are based on KDE and I do not want to use KDE as it seems to be a bit slower than xfec. Therefore I want to stay with the GTK libraries as long as possible to keep the system slim and fast.

To sum up what I need is a full office, with calender, emails, notes, to-do, address book, web, instant messaging as well as a development area based on a text editor with code highlighting and project structure, that is what I like about textmate, a msyql client as I do not like to edit database queries in the command line, some windows environment for testing, especially for internet explorer, and maybe some emulation to run a web sever as a separated operation system. And finally I need some LaTeX environment again with code highlighting.

That is what I need but to make life a bit more enjoyable I also want music and a nice looking interface with some of those features Apple comes up with for example the quicklook. These things that make your all day stuff easier.

If I finally go with the PowerPC or with the X86 structure is a decision of lifestyle for me. Because I like the PowerPC as it is the theoretically more effective environment but the point is there are not that many PPC computers available on the market. I do not need the newest, as speed is not that important (I choose a fast operation system to be able to run on a older chip) but the problem are all these things around. If you look at older ppc mobile computers, they all have reduced screen resolutions, about 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 especially the smaller ones ... Therefore I maybe choose a X86.