View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2013
Port Guard

Question How to troubleshoot a hang in OpenBSD?

I'm trying to get OpenBSD 5.4-release amd64 working on a MacbookAir5,1. So far it runs pretty well...that is, until I use Gnome. After 1-3 hours of Gnome use my machine hangs entirely. I cannot switch to a different virtual console, move the mouse cursor, or do anything besides power cycle the machine. I get the same behavior using Xfce instead of Gnome.

I've searched for answers but I haven't turned up much. I'd like to do more to narrow down the problem and either figure out if this is user error or figure out its a bug and then do what I can to gather information about the bug so I can file a report that the devs will find useful. So I've been looking around for documentation on how to troubleshoot hangs in OpenBSD and that search hasn't turn up much either.

I thought I'd ask y'all--do you know how to go about troubleshooting a hang in OpenBSD? Is there any logging I can turn on or clues left behind when the system freezes up? Or should I just experiment with turning various subsystems or hardware on and off to see if I can figure out where the trouble lies that way?

Last edited by quisquous; 23rd December 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: removing most caps in title to be more like the other post titles