Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
I find this hard to accept because Mac OS X market share is roughly 8%, unless people don't want to count that as Unix. And, I always thought about 4 to 5% was divied up among the traditional Unix. .
Sorry, I do not count Mac as Unix due to the fact that an average Mac user is about as computer literate as Windows user. Most people whom I know, who use Mac can not even find the shell (Hint: Check utilities). I completely agree with your estimate of the Mac desktop market share but I respectfully disagree with your estimate of traditional Unix. At the University of Arizona where I work out of 15-20 computer labs that I have seen with probably no less than 1000 desktop computers only one in the engineering building has
one SUN Ultra 10 workstation and two SUN blades 100 running Solaris 9. Hardly 5% of the market.

In the last year on bi-weekly auctions of old computer equipment from University of Arizona I have seen two O2 SGI work stations and one DEC alpha station. I have not seen a single SUN machine. So much about non
Intel hardware and traditional Unix. As I said before I still have to see a single i386 desktop running BSD other than the one in my office

Since I am mathematician and computer enthusiast I can give you one real information not just my story.
I have personally checked the servers at top 30 U. S. mathematics departments. With the exception of math department at Berkeley which has 4 FreeBSD, 2 Solaris, and one Linux server everyone else is running Linux. Mostly Ubuntu or Fedora on desktops and mostly Debian on Servers.

I forgot. Yes, Stanford math department runs Solaris besides Linux.

Last edited by Oko; 2nd July 2008 at 05:23 AM.