View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

As Dr. J says, you didn't choose a window manager. (You said, please tell you you missed something).
Depending upon what you've installed, you might have some of the other window managers available, and might not. I would guess from your posts that you would like something like KDE or Gnome.

It's not uncommon for someone to do that. That question has popped up on various mailing lists and forums many times, so you're not alone.

I tend to go with the other Scott and say you might be happier starting with Dekstop or PC BSD, as they both have a nicely preconfigured desktop. You can play with either one, start to get a feel for the O/S and see if you start liking it enough to go further.

That's not an effort to discourage you, just saying it might be the best course.

A bit of advice from an old guy---I know it gets frustrating, but I noticed on bsdforums you gave it a subject like world's worst desktop or something like that. It's fun to vent sometimes, but when folks don't know you, and you start off by venting about how bad it is, it makes folks less inclined to help.
After folks know you and such, then it's fine to vent--most of us have emailed friends at one point or another with something like, "Did I ever mention that I HATE computers?"

That's just a suggestion--conversely, many of us do remember when we were newcomers and how frustrating it can be.