View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
If I have recalled correctly in presuming that most "dev" work is being done/ported to "snapshot" (or -current, am I right?).
Most all new work (outside of patches & some changes backported to -stable & -release...) goes into the head of the CVS tree which is -current.
Quote:
Should all the "active and viable" packages from the 4.6(release, am I right?) directory be listed in the snapshot directory?
Most likely not given that packages in -current are built again & again throughout the development cycle for a number of reasons:
  • Continued changes to the ports themselves.
  • As the system itself is volatile at the head of CVS, so are packages. And the two aren't always synchronized. Those who live on the edge (-current) can expect that there may be times when they have to resort to building packages themselves.
  • Resource constraints. Building all packages in -current just isn't feasible given their short shelf-life. Building most packages for -release (Even in -release not all ports are built into packages for various reasons...) is possible since they only have to be built once every six months.
Re-reading Section 5.1 & Section 15.3 would be time well-spent (even for me... ).