View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
...but will I need to update more than the installed packages (the base system and x-windows) to avoid breaking the system?
Yes. Again, look at the table in Section 5.1 of the FAQ. There is no upgrade path from 4.1-release, 4.2-release, or 4.3-release to -current. You will need to do a fresh install of a recent snapshot first.
Quote:
Basically when the mozilla team suggests that all users update to x.x.xx with the latest security updates and a popup windows tells me a new update is available I would like to update that package or know that it is not an issue in OBSD.
The OpenBSD ports team will study whatever fixes have been announced & port these changes to -current as time permits. Whenever time comes for the six-month release cycle, whatever the latest version which has been vetted will be made part of -release. Note that this means that if a change is released near the time the CVS tree is tagged for the next release, this does not mean that the latest will always make it into -release. The OpenBSD project trys to vet ports & fixes before they are encorporated into -release.

If you are wanting to closely watch what gets checked in, watch the CVS tree:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...zilla-firefox/

Also, you can watch the Ports Tracker Website which displays recent check-in activity as well:

http://openports.se/
Quote:
Off topic, but I wonder about the wisdom of abandoning package updates in -release.
As I recall, -release rarely sees package updates, as this would be the motivation for migrating to -stable. As it is now, -release & -stable see updates every six months at the next release cycle.

As for your comment on wisdom, the reality is that the OpenBSD project does not have the resources to spend on updating ports for all flavors and maintain the quality of -current & ensuing releases. The latter is considered to be more important to the goals of the project.