Thread: Xorg config
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2010
./dev/null

Quote:
One should never use glxgears as a benchmark, it doesn't paint a fair picture in all cases these days.. try using some real world OpenGL applications.
No "benchmark" was actually intended, i was just running it quickly to compare the difference (if any) in results of editing the conf file. No real concern for OpenGL applications, to be honest i was just trying to clean up the choppiness on documentaries.

Quote:
If you're feel adventurous, there are a wide variety of driver settings that may effect performance..
I have tried the odd conf setting but am more interested in stability instead of optimum performance, although 60FPS was FAR to choppy for me, the 250FPS or so is very acceptable.

Quote:
An improperly terminated X might remove the device node somehow, some people have had to go into /dev and run MAKEDEV drm.. it's more likely related to people who upgraded to 4.6 instead of performing a clean install.
That is good to know, although i always do a fresh install, sheet happens. I actually did NOT have /dev/drm0 existing and just ran MAKEDEV drm in /dev to create it on a fresh install just now.