View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd February 2012
More noise than signal

I am glad you were able to recover from your backup.

You are attempting to upgrade a system with a custom kernel. And your system will not function, as configured, without that custom kernel. This requires advanced OpenBSD administration skill; you are attempting this without that background. You are very brave, and should be congratulated.

The OpenBSD userland (all of the OS programs and tools) and the OpenBSD kernel must be kept in sync, so the custom 5.0 kernel and the 5.0 *.tgz filesets must be installed simultaneously.

The errors you posted indicate that kernel you booted is not correct; either you booted GENERIC.MP as supplied by the OpenBSD project, or, you incorrectly configured the kernel you deployed.

You can check the kernel to determine what it is -- using something like:
Code:
# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# config -o /tmp/not.used -e /mnt/bsd
This use of the config program will display the equivalent of "sysctl kern.version" before producing a prompt, where you can type "quit" to exit. Here is another good reason to create a RAID.MP kernel configuration file rather than editing GENERIC directly.

RAIDframe Root-on-RAID requires two additions to the kernel configuration. If you don't have both, you will not have a properly configured kernel:
  1. The raid pseudo-device and its count of device drivers.
  2. The raid auto configuration option.
---

If this were my production system, I would create my custom kernel and test it on a separate system of the same architecture:
  1. install 5.0-release
  2. download and unpack the 5.0-release kernel source code tarball
  3. configure my RAID.MP kernel and build it
  4. boot my custom kernel
  5. create a set of RAID partitions, configure an array, and test that it autoconfigures when I reboot.
Then, and only then, I would package my custom kernel with the release filesets, and conduct an upgrade per the OpenBSD Upgrade Guide.