View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
A couple of orthogonal (but not new) thoughts for the conversation.

A) The complaints related to Xorg in this thread seem to be symptomatic of difficulties BSD has in general. Viz, not enough manpower to truly "roll your own," inability to induce desired support/"mindspace" from outside software/hardware developers, etc. ISTM one of the root causes of this is fragmentation of the BSD family, resulting in resources wasted on duplicate effort and lack of critical mass for each project. And why are the BSD's fragmented? Well, I guess a variety of reasons, but Linux hippies / fanboys / crowds / -isms aren't one of them .
Your answer is typical of Linux hippies / fanboys / crowds / who
lack the historical prospective. X Window system has nothing to do with
Linux. it is developed almost 10 years before Linus wrote a first line of
code on his "new operating system". The project has been hijacked by
so called Linux community (which is code word for industry proxies) which
wants completely to control all technologies. Another less irritating
example is GCC compiler and its development. It is another example of
Linux is everything which is not Windows attitude.

BSDs are not fragmented. There are only four BSD project each one with the very specific set of goals.

Linux is also not fragmented. There is only one large enterprise industry backed Linux (RedHat) and two smaller new
vendors Novel (SuSE) and Canonical (Ubuntu). All others are kidding themselves if they thing that they are actually developing Linux. Putting things together and making installation scripts (Debian apt) is not the same as developing an operating system.

For the record DragonFly and NetBSD use the same packaging system. It is hard to compare four academic/volunteering projects with a large commercial enterprise as Linux which has industry
giants behind it (IBM, HP, RedHat). Linux hippies / fanboys / crowds /
might not be on the way of BSD development but industry is certainly uneasy when 100 people volunteering project (OpenBSD) makes a product
(OpenSSH) which has 80% of market share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
B) Regarding X, what about the console framebuffer (my fave topic ),
I can speak only of OpenBSD. Your question is so often asked that it is answered on FAQ. There is no interest (so far should I add) among developers for framebuffer. It is IMHO valid argument.