View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009
UNIX lover

@terryp

>In my opinion, if you're not working on X.Org, then shut up

This is to some degree a rather silly argument or should I say some kind of Raadtism a la 'shut up and code'? ;-)

Well as I said to some degree (e.g. in a *buntu desktop forum), but there are more ways to contribute to a FOSS project than just contributing some code. I started with UNIX in terms of Irix on a nice and shiny SGI workstation, back in the good old days. At home my first UNIX was some NetBSD on an Amiga, later Slack and so on. In contributed a lot: money, problem reports, help on mailinglists, help on LUGs/UUGs, sometimes I contributed some mirror (at university) etc. So this is worth nothing according to your saying? It's just the code? Well my boy, welcome in the reality - I'm one of the small supporters of OpenBSD for example that buys the CD sets, sometimes T-shirts too ... and I'm mainly a FreeBSD user. I do this because of the great work of those guys and sometimes I'm even 'whining' (in terms of 'I have a severe problem and I'm able to reproduce it or even debug it to some degree').