Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Your answer is typical of Linux hippies / fanboys /
crowds / who
lack the historical prospective. X Window system has nothing to do with
Linux. it is developed almost 10 years before Linus wrote a first line of
code on his "new operating system".
I am quite aware of this aspect of the history.

Quote:
The project has been hijacked by
so called Linux community (which is code word for industry proxies)
which
wants completely to control all technologies.
I don't disagree with that, and do understand the frustration associated with this state of affairs (though perhaps my post could have acknowleged that briefly). However, the point I was trying to make was related to the next items.

Quote:
BSDs are not fragmented. There are only four BSD project each
one with the very specific set of goals.
Obviously there is co-operation and exchange between them, which is good, but still you have different kernels (at the heart of what I meant by fragmented). If things were more unified (in principle) wouldn't that (a) free up developer resources for many purposes, (b) improve the chances of outside developers contributing optional-use products; (c) cause the whole to add up to more than the currents parts do? (Not that things will unite, but that is my perception of the situation.)

Quote:
Linux is also not fragmented.
I would say Linux is definitely fragmented (perhaps moreso) at the packaging level, but it's all the same kernel. Wouldn't that make it easier for 3rd parties to support (depending on the application)?

Quote:
I can speak only of OpenBSD. Your question is so often asked that it is answered on FAQ. There is no interest (so far should I add) among developers for framebuffer. It is IMHO valid argument.
According to another post on this forum, there has been some unreleased (not sure if that's the right term) code in the tree for this. That's just the kind of thing I have in mind that could benefit from reducing duplication and freeing developer resources. Another example is Xenocara. If they had more resources, perhaps they wouldn't have to start with Xorg (bastard son of Linux ) and could start more from scratch (XFree?). I don't know any of the history of Xenocara, so just take that example as a loose general idea.