View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
The set of goals which they outlined for themselves can NOT be accomplished with the same kernel. There is not such thing as one shoe fits all feet. That is exactly what is wrong with Linux. It is trying to be everything track( server), a sedan (desktop) a spaceship (supper computer) and minimalistic OS (race care) and security app and
embedded OS. It is as simple as that. FreeBSD could adopt NetBSD packaging system and that would definitely free resources and that is all. OpenBSD can not adopt pkgsrc due to security issues.
I think we are going off on a tangent here. I did not say having 4 BSDs is a "crappy" model; far from it, much excellent work has been done. But that doesn't mean, AFAICT, that the reality of 4 separate smaller projects (forget the term fragmentation, call it design diversity ) can not have some sort of drawbacks of the kind I outlined. My point there, which you seem to have missed, is that the choice to have separate smaller projects, and consequences of that, has nothing to do with Linux.

Oko, J65nko and jggimi, thanks for the info on Xenocara, I'll have a look at the links.