View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th July 2019
Port Guard

Exclamation Fighting with NetBSD installig packages

There is a video explaining how to install NetBSD 8.0. I followed that video, and theres is something I couldn't find in docs about NetBSD. Installing Bash and using pkgin inside it enables to install packages that in other way can't be installed.

In turn, when I tried to install xf86-input-vmware, xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-video-vmware... these packages are not in the repository at all.

Looking for the net I found theses packages in an ftp site of SmartOS, that uses NetBSD packages.

I downloaded these packages, I have installed video-vmware and input-vmmouse using pkg_add -f program_name.tgz.

The package xf86-input-keyboard gives an error that "keyring" not found, and can't be installed.

The question is, why, if the video shows how install those packages directly by using pkgin install program_name, those packages don't exist anymore in NetBSD repositories.

Using pkgsrc and make install clean gives an unrecoverable error about randrproto>1.6.0 is needed.

I hope NetBSD will update repositories, because it is very difficult to work this OS with.

Does anybody I help with this?

Thanks