View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th December 2009
./dev/null

Quote:
Why would you want that to prevent from happening?
There are MANY reasons for this (for me that is) one of which being that i CAN NOT always be at my (or work owned computers) laptop, there is need for me to be away (quickly) when the phone rings and otherwise.

There are over 2600 (140+ different businesses) people where i work, i DO NOT know all of them (or trust any of them), i can NOT lock the door to my desk (as i do not have one) and must leave many computers/equipment unattended, and of course my equipment (or data) is NOT COVERED by there insurance.

Although most of these 2600 ppl do not go near my desk (or through the front door of coorporate HQ), there is a cleaning crew at night as well that has been known to be less than honest.

Do not leave your equipment at work you say? well sometimes when your on call (we take 1 week at a time shifts) you HAVE to have your equipment with you at all times and HAVE to leave it quickly, even when your just visiting the sauna or gym.

Even though i do not have any company data on my computer i do use it to trouble shoot network related issues and much more. I could keep listing my reasons for wanting/requiring that my Xsession is not so easily screwed up and possibly losing work to boot.

Quote:
That key combination was invented to backup out from X in emergency situations.
I could in an "emergency" situation EASILY switch consoles and login and use the pkill command, IF i ever had the need for my robust as could be OpenBSD system to kill an X session.

Quote:
IMHO it is not easy to accidently press CNTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
Perhaps a silly example but Ctrl+Alt+Del is approximatly less than 1 inch from the Backspace button, and even though i have my ThinkLight on when i am reading at night, it IS EASY to accidentaly hit the wrong button(s). Yes i know this behaviour (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) is disabled by default in OpenBSD, but why explain a personal preference (or stubbly finger accidently hitting the wrong button). I personally prefer to have the option of Ctrl+Alt+Backspace NOT kill my X session, i am just at a loss on how to configure it.

Last edited by There0; 29th December 2009 at 09:00 PM.