View Single Post
Old 27th February 2012
More noise than signal

I believe you. But I am very confused, because, in order for an IPv4 ping by domain name to function, the following must be in place:
  1. A valid domain name resolver configuration must be in /etc/resolv.conf
  2. A valid IPv4 TCP/IP configuration must be established, including IP address, subnet mask, and default route.
  3. ARP traffic must flow on the local Ethernet to establish a relationship between MAC addresses and IP addresses.
  4. UDP traffic must flow to the domain name server addressed to destination port 53, and a response received.
  5. ICMP traffic must flow to the destination IP address.
#1 and #2 would normally occur through DHCP. From what you have posted, it appears that #2 did not take place. Without #2.... #3,#4, and #5 would seem to be impossible.

After a "successful" ping such as you have shown, without a valid IP configuration, I would want to know:
  • Is there an /etc/resolv.conf? What are its contents?
  • Are there a list of MAC to IP addresses from "arp -an" ?? Is the re0 mac address (00:1b:fc:6f:ec:69) listed?
  • What does the IPv4 routing table look like? What is the output of "route -n show -inet" ?
I have never seen "status: unknown" with ifconfig output before. I am going to guess that there is a communication error between the NIC and PHY drivers.