View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Smith, we are glad you resolved your own questions.

Recognize that this site is independent of the OpenBSD project. While it has been known that a few OpenBSD developers have read & contributed to threads here at times, most of the regulars here are simply professionals, enthusiasts, students, & newbies to the operating system.
I resolved them with one small indispensable clue provided, and of course in this case it turned out not to be a OpenBSD-specific problem, but such is the nature of all this stuff. I imagine other vendors have coded around the crappy realtek hardware while swearing in silence. There was a reference to the driver source code (FreeBSD I think it was) in that wikipeda article and some of that stuff made me chuckle, eg:

Code:
/* Do not try to read past this point. */
Anyway of course I understand the nature of this place, it is indeed why I sought it out. My hopes was that more patient people involved would tend to congregate in a web forum rather than on a mailing list, and that somewhat stupid questions would not immediately get one's head bit off. Which turned out to be the case so far ..

Thanks again. With luck this was the last stupid OpenBSD question from me here, but my hopes are not so high about that one. Hopefully you people who know what you are talking about will remember that even a really stupid question which is patiently answered here, will eventually get googled by someone else and potentially save many man-minutes of frustration.

I'm still a bit blown away by the austere and very serious approach which surrounds the idea of OpenBSD.

I can now work on getting some of the ideas I had about this low-grade server into reality anyway, and perhaps sleep easier with that feeling I get from the very careful engineering effort, and leave the machine on not so fearful of intrusions, more just hoping it doesn't die in some spectacular way like catching on fire or something.