View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th April 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
I guess some of their developers must have used them for something once upon a time or use them now.
There was a time when the number of applications in OpenBSD's ports tree would have been called anemic, so offering compatibility was a way users could run common applications found on other platforms, but the ports tree has substantially filled out in the last few years, so maintaining compatibility no longer has the need it did at an earlier age.

The other aspect not mentioned in this thread (I failed to stress this explicitly enough in my earlier response...) is that the OpenBSD project does not let user requests determine either policy or direction without accompanying code submissions. Pleas for feature requests without code are simply ignored. It is important to understand that the target audience of the OpenBSD project is the project developers themselves. The rest of us merely benefit from their work, but we have no say in how the project is managed. Those interested in OpenBSD should take the time to familiarize themselves with the project's goals publicly stated at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html